Last Updated: April 2021
If you have any questions about our use of your Personal Data, you can contact us at:
AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd.
78 Shenton Way, #09-16,
Attn: Data Protection Officer
The principal ways we collect Personal Data are through our application forms for our insurance products, by phone through telephone applications, information provided by you through our claim forms, AIG Electronic Services, e-mails, phone conversations and other communications, as well as from other insurers, claims investigation, medical professionals, witnesses and other third parties involved in our business dealings with you.
We collect Personal Data through:
- this website (the “Site”);
- the software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”);
- our social media pages set forth in the links in the footer on AIG.sg (our “Social Media Content”) (collectively, including the Site, the Apps and our Social Media Content, referred to as the “AIG Electronic Services”);
- and through other means (for example, from your application and claim forms, telephone calls, e-mails and other communications with us, as well as from claim investigators, medical professionals, witnesses or other third parties involved in our business dealings with you).
Depending on your relationship with us (for example, as a consumer, potential customer, policyholder, non-policyholder insured, claimant, witness, commercial broker or appointed representative, or other person relating to our business), Personal Data collected about you and your dependents may include:
- General identification and contact information
Your name; address; e-mail and telephone details; gender; marital status; family status; date of birth; passwords (including on our systems); educational background; physical attributes; activity records, such as driving records; photos; employment history, skills and experience; professional licenses and affiliations; relationship to the policyholder, insured or claimant; and date and cause of death, injury or disability.
- Identification numbers issued by government bodies or agencies
Identity card number, passport number; employment pass or work permit / FIN number, tax identification number; military identification number; or driver’s or other license number.
- Financial information and account details
Payment card number; bank account number and account details; credit history and credit score; assets; income; and other financial information.
- Medical condition and health status
Current or former physical or mental or medical condition; health status; injury or disability information; medical procedures performed; personal habits (for example, smoking or consumption of alcohol); prescription information; and medical history.
- Other sensitive information
In certain cases, we may receive sensitive information about your trade union membership, religious beliefs, political opinions, family medical history or genetic information (for example, if you apply for insurance through a third-party marketing partner that is a trade, religious or political organization). In addition, we may obtain information about your criminal record or civil litigation history in the process of preventing, detecting and investigating fraud. We may also obtain sensitive information if you voluntarily provide it to us (for example, if you express preferences regarding medical treatment based on your religious beliefs).
- Telephone recordings
Recordings of telephone calls between you and our representatives and call centers.
- Information to investigate crime, including fraud and money laundering
AIG Singapore has a duty at law to disclose information on policyholders and claimants for investigations into fraud, money laundering, drug trafficking or other serious crimes. Such disclosures may be made to the Monetary Authority of Singapore (“MAS”), Criminal Investigation Department (“CID”), Commercial Affairs Department (“CAD”) or other government authorities.
- Information enabling us to provide products and services
Location and identification of property insured (for example, property address, vehicle license plate or identification number); travel plans; age categories of individuals you wish to insure; policy and claim numbers; coverage/peril details; cause of loss; prior accident or loss history; your status as director or partner, or other ownership or management interest in an organization; and other insurance you hold.
- Marketing preferences and customer feedback
You may let us know your marketing preferences, enter a contest or prize draw or other sales promotion, or respond to a voluntary customer satisfaction survey.
- Social media account and information from Apps
We may receive certain Personal Data about you when you use our Apps or Social Media Content, including your social media account ID and profile picture, and other Personal Data that you provide to us. If you elect to connect your social media account provided by another social media service provider to your account(s) on any of the AIG Electronic Services, Personal Data from your social media account will be shared with us, which may include Personal Data that is part of your social media account profile or your friends’ profiles.
Our overriding principle is only to collect any of the above Personal Data which we believe to be relevant and required to understand your insurance needs and provide insurance services to you, to conduct our business and to provide better customer service and products. In this respect, the particular purposes for which Personal Data may be collected and used by AIG Singapore and AIG Affiliates are as follows:
- Communicating with you and others as part of our business.
- Providing insurance, financial services or related products and services to you and administering, maintaining, managing and operating such products and/or services including any renewals.
- Sending you important information regarding changes to our policies, other terms and conditions, renewal of policies, AIG Electronic Services and other administrative information.
- Processing, assessing and determining any applications or requests made by you for insurance products or services.
- Any purposes in connection with any claims made under any insurance products or in respect of any services provided by AIG Singapore or AIG Affiliates including, without limitation, making, defending, analysing, investigating, processing, assessing, determining or responding to such claims.
- Performing any functions and activities related to the insurance products and/or services provided by AIG Singapore or AIG Affiliates including, without limitation, obtaining reinsurance, auditing, reporting and general servicing and maintenance of online and other service.
- Assessing your eligibility for payment plans, and processing your premium and other payments.
- Providing improved quality, training and security (for example, with respect to recorded or monitored phone calls to our contact numbers).
- Preventing, detecting and investigating crime, including fraud and money laundering, and analysing and managing other commercial risks.
- Carrying out research and analysis, business and process enhancements, and innovation including, but not limited to, satisfaction surveys, data analytics, and business innovation.
- Providing marketing information to you including information about other products and services offered by selected third-party partners. Personalising your experience on AIG Electronic Services by presenting information and advertisements tailored to you.
- Identifying you to anyone to whom you send messages through AIG Electronic Services.
- Enrolling you in contests, prize draws and similar promotions, and administering these activities. Some of these activities have additional terms and conditions, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Data, so we suggest that you read these carefully.
- Facilitating social media sharing functionality.
- Managing our infrastructure and business operations, and complying with internal policies and procedures, including those relating to auditing; finance and accounting; billing and collections; IT systems; data and website hosting; business continuity; and records, document and print management.
- Resolving complaints, and handling requests for data access, correction or portability.
- Complying with applicable laws and regulatory obligations (including laws outside of Singapore), such as those relating to anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism; comply with legal process; respond to requests from public and governmental authorities (including those outside of Singapore); and for audit, compliance, investigation and inspection purposes.
- Meeting the requirements to make disclosure pursuant to any law binding on AIG Singapore or any of the AIG Affiliates or for the purposes of complying with any regulations or guidelines issued by any regulatory or other authorities which have jurisdiction over AIG Singapore or any AIG Affiliates.
- Conducting background and identity checks, such as for the purposes of verifying your identity in order to respond to your request to be provided with a duplicate policy or other documentation, any request made by you to change your address in our records, or any request by you to change your bank account or payment or other details in our records.
- Conducting credit checks on you- such as analysing verifying and/or checking your credit, payment and/or status in relation to your ability to use the services.
- Carrying out due diligence or other screening activities in accordance with legal or regulatory obligations or risk management procedures that may be required by law or that may have been put in place by AIG Singapore.
- Determining any amount of indebtedness owing to or from you and collecting or recovering any amount owing from you or any person who has provided security or an undertaking for such liabilities of yours. Enabling an actual or proposed purchaser, assignee, transferee, participant or sub-participant of AIG Singapore or any of AIG Affiliates’ rights or business to evaluate the transaction intended to be the subject of the reorganisation, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, participation or sub-participation.
- Establishing and defending legal rights; protecting our operations or those of any of our group companies or insurance business partners, our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our group companies, you or others; and pursuing available remedies or limit our damages.
- Exercising any rights AIG Singapore or AIG Affiliates may have in connection with the provision of insurance products and services to you.
Due to the global nature of our business, for the purposes set out above we may transfer Personal Data to parties located in other countries that may have a different data protection regime than is found in Singapore. Personal Data collected in Singapore by AIG Singapore is likely to be transferred to places outside of Singapore (such as to AIG or AIG secure data centres, AIG Affiliates, service providers, business partners and governmental or regulatory authorities) in order to carry out the purposes, or directly related purposes, for which the Personal Data was collected. Where such a transfer is performed, it will be done in compliance with the applicable law.
AIG Singapore may make Personal Data available to:
- Our group companies
AIG Affiliates may have access to and use of your Personal Data. AIG Singapore is responsible for the management and security of jointly used Personal Data. Access to Personal Data within AIG is restricted to those individuals who have a need to access the information for our business purposes.
- Other insurance and distribution parties
In the course of marketing and providing insurance and processing claims, AIG may make Personal Data available to third parties such as other insurers; reinsurers; insurance and reinsurance brokers and other intermediaries and agents; appointed representatives; distribution partners; affinity marketing partners; and financial institutions, securities firms and other business partners.
- Our service providers
External third-party service providers, such as medical professionals, accountants, actuaries, auditors, experts, lawyers and other outside professional advisors; travel and medical assistance providers; roadside and accident assistance service providers; call center service providers; IT systems, support and hosting service providers; printing, Apps service providers, advertising, marketing and market research and analysis service providers; data scientists, banks and financial institutions that service our accounts; third-party claim administrators; document and records management providers; claim investigators and adjusters; construction consultants; engineers; examiners; jury consultants; translators; and similar third-party vendors and outsourced service providers that assist us in carrying out business activities.
- Recipients of your social sharing activity
- Governmental authorities and third parties involved in court action
AIG may also share Personal Data with government, regulatory or other public authorities (including, but not limited to, workers’ compensation boards, courts, law enforcement, tax authorities and criminal investigation agencies); and third-party civil legal process participants and their accountants, auditors, lawyers and other advisors and representatives as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable law, including laws outside of Singapore; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public, government and regulatory authorities including public, government and regulatory authorities outside of Singapore; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our group companies; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our group companies, you or others; (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit our damages; and (h) for regulatory, audit, compliance, investigation and inspection purposes.
- Other Third Parties
We may share Personal Data with payees; emergency providers (fire, police and medical emergency services); retailers; medical networks, organizations and providers; travel carriers; credit bureaus; credit reporting agencies; and other people involved in an incident that is the subject of a claim; as well as purchasers and prospective purchasers or other parties in any actual or proposed reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other transaction relating to all or any portion of our business, assets or stock. To check information provided, and to detect and prevent fraudulent claims, Personal Data (including details of injuries) may be shared with other insurers when dealing with claims to detect, prevent and investigate fraud.
Personal Data may also be shared by you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs, and other AIG Electronic Services to which you are able to post data and materials (including, without limitation, our Social Media Content). Please note that any data you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to visitors and users of the AIG Electronic Services and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Data, or any other information, when using AIG Electronic Services.
AIG Singapore will take appropriate technical, physical, legal and organizational measures, which are consistent with applicable privacy and data security laws. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any Personal Data you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us. (See the “Who to Contact About Your Personal Data” section above.)
When AIG Singapore provides Personal Data to a service provider, the service provider will be selected carefully and required to use appropriate measures to protect the confidentiality and security of the Personal Data.
(a) Personal Data will only be retained for as long as is necessary to fulfill the original or directly related purpose for which such data was collected, unless the Personal Data is also retained to satisfy any legal obligations or other legitimate purpose; and
(b) Personal Data is purged from AIG Singapore’s electronic, manual, and other filing systems, where feasible, in accordance with specific schedules based on the above criteria and AIG Singapore’s internal procedures.
If you provide Personal Data to AIG Singapore regarding other individuals, you agree:
We will provide you with regular opportunities to tell us your marketing preferences, including in our communications to you. You can also contact us by e-mail at the following URL link: https://secure.aig.com.sg/contactus/ or by writing to: AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd. at 78 Shenton Way #09-16, Singapore 079120, or calling our hotline number: 6419 3000 to tell us your marketing preferences and to opt-out.
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related e-mails from AIG Singapore on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving these marketing-related emails by clicking on the link to indicate so or by contacting us at the above address. We aim to comply with your opt-out request(s) within 30 days of receiving your opt-out request. Please note that if you opt-out as described above, we will not be able to remove your Personal Data from the databases of third parties with whom we have already shared your Personal Data (i.e., to those to whom we have already provided your Personal Data as of the date on which we respond to your opt-out request). Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still send you other important administrative communications.
You have the right to access, correct, object to the use of, or request deletion of Personal Data on certain grounds. Please contact us as set out in the “Who to Contact About Your Personal Data” section above with any such requests or if you have any questions or concerns about how we process Personal Data. Please note that some Personal Data may be exempt from access, correction, objection, deletion or suppression rights in accordance with local privacy and data protection laws.
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity, such as:
- Browser and electronic device information;
- App usage data;
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies;
- Demographic information and other information provided by you; and
- Aggregated information.
Other Information We Collect
We and our third-party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your internet browser or electronic device: Certain information is collected by most websites or automatically through your electronic device, such as your IP address (i.e., your computer’s address on the internet), screen resolution, operating system type (Windows or Mac) and version, internet browser type and version, electronic device manufacturer and model, language, time of the visit, page(s) visited and the name and version of the AIG Electronic Services (such as the App) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the AIG Electronic Services function properly.
- Through your use of the App: When you download and use the App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your electronic device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
Below is a description of all the cookies we use on AIG Singapore’s website, what they do, what data about you they collect and what we use them for:
- Geo Location cookie – When a visitor visits one of our sites for the first time we read their location from their IP address and use this information to assume the country site that they want to visit. This method is not entirely accurate, however, so when they navigate to a particular country site we use a cookie to store this information and to store the language that they chose to view the site. The next time they visit the site we read the cookie and present the same country and language version they used on their last visit. This has the intended benefit that they don’t need to reselect the country site they need each time they visit an AIG site. No Personal Data is collected or used by the cookie.
- Site Catalyst cookie (by Adobe) – This cookie enables us to collect and analyze data about how visitors arrive at our site and then how they interact with our site, including products they may search, content they may view, and the steps leading up to a completed or abandoned sale. We use this aggregated information to adapt our sites to better serve their and other users’ needs and interests, and to provide more relevant and useful information. The cookie is placed on a visitor’s PC on a temporary basis only. The cookie does not collect or use their Personal Data. Instead, it logs an anonymous code which identifies users and this code “follows” the user in their journey through the site. We use the aggregated and anonymous information for statistical analysis.
- DoubleClick cookies- We place a tracking pixel cookie on to all site visitors’ computers, for the purpose of our banner advertising activity. We use these cookies to know that a visitor has been on our site before which allows us to display an appropriate banner ad on to an affiliated network website. No Personal Data is collected. One of the advertisement companies that we use is Google, Inc, trading as DoubleClick. For more information on the DoubleClick cookie, or to opt out from the DoubleClick advertisement cookie please visit: http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/.
- Affiliate cookie – We use a tracking pixel cookie, which is put on a visitor’s PC and collects only the transaction ID (which identifies the any affiliated website the visitor has come from) and a time and date stamp. This enables our affiliate network partners to track affiliated sales and ensure an affiliate is credited for a sale referred to us. It does not involve any passing of Personal Data.
You can refuse to accept the cookies we use by adjusting your browser settings. However, if you do not accept these cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Site and some online products.
- Using pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs or other similar technologies: These may be used in connection with some AIG Electronic Services and HTML-formatted e-mail messages to, among other things, track the actions of users of the AIG Electronic Services and e-mail recipients, measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the AIG Electronic Services and response rates.
- Physical Location: Subject to applicable law, we may collect the physical location of your electronic device by, for example, using satellite, mobile/cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. Subject to your marketing preferences as indicated to us or applicable law, we may also share your device’s physical location, combined with information about what advertisements you viewed and other information we collect, with our marketing partners to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you choose to deny such uses and/or sharing, we and/or our marketing partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
- From you: Some information (for example, your location or preferred means of communication) is collected when you voluntarily provide it. Unless combined with Personal Data, this information does not personally identify you.
- By aggregating information: We may aggregate and use certain information (for example, we may aggregate information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Data under applicable law, then, in addition to the uses listed in the “Other Information We Collect” section above, we may use and disclose Other Information for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Data.
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the information security practices) of other organizations, such as Facebook®, Twitter®, Apple®, Google®, Microsoft® or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or electronic device manufacturer, including any Personal Data you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the AIG Electronic Services.
AIG Electronic Services are not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Data through AIG Electronic Services.