Union Policy Wording
The Union Home Insurance is a complimentary Home Contents Insurance plan offered exclusively to Union Power customers.
The Union Home Insurance is only offered to Union Power customers who hold an eligible Union Power electricity plan, and shall be automatically terminated in the event of termination of Union Power’s electricity plan.
In the event the electricity plan agreement between Union Power and its customer commences before the 26th day of the calendar month, the Union Home Insurance policy will commence on the 1st day of the following calendar month.
In the event the electricity plan agreement between Union Power and its customer commences on or after the 26th day of the calendar month, the Union Home Insurance policy will commence on the 1st day of the month following the next calendar month.
The following is a description of the policy (Basic Plan Master Policy Number: U180501001) held by Union Power Pte. Ltd. (“Union”), the Policyholder at 25 Genting Road #07-01 Singapore 349482 for the benefit of the Union Power residential account holders (“Subscribers”).
The policy of insurance is underwritten and issued by AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd. (“AIG”), 78 Shenton Way #09-16 AIG Building Singapore 079120.
The coverage provided under this policy:
- is free of charge for the Subscribers
- can be changed from time to time or discontinued altogether following a decision by AIG; and
- is available in accordance with the terms of Union’s policy with AIG.
Subscribers can make claims on their own behalf with AIG as Insured Persons under this policy within the relevant Terms, Condition and Exclusions as set out below.
Summary of Benefits (Policy Schedule)
Power Surge Cover
Up to Household Contents Sum Insured
Debris Removal after a covered loss
Replacement of Lock & Key
General note: General note: For the avoidance of doubt, all references to the annual limits per Policy Period in this Policy are based on a 12 months period starting from the inception date stated in the policy schedule and its subsequent blocks.
We will cover the Insured Person for loss or damage to Household Contents within the confines of the Insured Person’s Residence caused by the following insured perils (“Insured Perils”):
Fire, Subterranean Fire, Lightning or Thunderbolt
Explosion of household appliances
Bursting or Overflowing of domestic water tanks, apparatus or Water Pipes. This peril is applicable only if the Residence is not left unoccupied for more than thirty (30) consecutive days.
Vehicle collision or impact by any Vehicle that does not belong to the Insured Person and/or his/her Immediate Family or is under the Insured Person’s and/or his/her Immediate Family’s care and control. This includes impact from falling tree(s) or branches
Aircraft and other aerial devices and articles dropped from such aircraft or aerial devices
Riot, Strikes or Malicious act
Theft by violent and forcible entry, up to an annual policy limit specified in the policy schedule, only if the Residence is not left unoccupied for more than thirty (30) consecutive days
Fire and/or explosion caused by Power Surge
Our total liability in respect of loss or damage as a result of all or any of the Insured Perils during any one Policy Period shall not exceed the Household Contents annual limit as specified in the policy schedule.
Notwithstanding the above, We will only cover:
- any loss or damage to Jewellery and furs, for up to S$1,000 per article and no more than 30% of the Household Contents Sum Insured as specified in the policy schedule. The Insured Person will have to pay the Excess of $200 for every claim or series of claims;
- any loss or damage to works of art, paintings, fine glassware and crystal, tapestries, antiques and other collectible property, for up to S$200 per article and no more than 5% of the Household Contents Sum Insured as specified in the policy schedule. The Insured Person will have to pay the Excess of $200 for every claim or series of claims.
We will not cover:
- Any loss or damage due to wear and tear;
- Any loss or damage caused by flood or overflow except as provided for and specifically insured by this Policy;
- Any loss or damage caused by hurricane, cyclone, typhoon and windstorm to the Household Contents unless all outside doors, windows and other openings are complete and protected against such perils. We do not pay for any loss or damage to window grills, awnings, blinds, signs and other outdoor fixtures or fittings including gates;
- Loss of or damage to the Household Contents by landslip, subsidence or settlement of soil except when resulting from earthquake or volcanic eruption;
- Any loss or damage to Household Contents caused by pressure waves or any phenomenon associated with the same which is caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds;
- Any loss or damage to manuscripts, plans, drawings, designs, patterns, models or moulds;
- Any loss or damage to securities or documents of any kind, stamps, coins or paper money, cheques, books of accounts or other business books, or computer systems records; and
- Any loss or damage to Household Contents left outside the confines of the Insured Person’s Residence.
We will cover the Insured Person for the cost and expenses incurred for the removal of debris up to the annual limit as specified in the policy schedule following loss or damage to the Insured Person’s Residence due to the occurrence of an Insured Peril. The Insured Person will have to pay the Excess of $200 for every claim or series of claims.
We will cover the Insured Person for the reasonable cost of alternative accommodation while work is being carried out to restore the Insured Person’s Residence to a habitable condition if the Insured Person’s Residence is made uninhabitable by any Insured Peril under the Household Contents cover of this Policy, up to the annual limit of as specified in the policy schedule. We will only pay once under this cover for any one Policy Period. The Insured Person will have to pay the Excess of $200 for every claim or series of claims
We will not cover any costs incurred under this Alternative Accommodation cover beyond the period of ninety (90) consecutive days from the date of the loss or damage to the Insured Person’s Residence.
We will cover the Insured Person for the cost of replacement for locks and keys following Theft by violent or forcible entry up to the maximum annual limit as specified in the policy schedule. We will only pay once under this cover for any one Policy Period.
An Excess does not apply to this cover unless otherwise stated in the policy schedule.
We will not cover for:
(a) losses occurring outside this Policy Period;
(b) loss or damage due to wear and tear;
(c) loss or damage due to an act of God unless otherwise stated in Part B above;
(d) any loss or damage due to the order of any government, public authority or customs officials; and
(e) any loss, damage or liability resulting from Fungi, and the presence, growth, proliferation, spread or any activity of Fungi, wet or dry rot or bacteria however caused, including any resulting loss.
In addition, we will not cover the Insured Person for any expenses incurred to test for, monitor, clean up, remove, remediate, contain, treat, de-toxify, neutralise, or in any way respond to or assess the effects of Fungi, wet or dry rot, or bacteria.
We will not cover the Insured Person or his/her Immediate Family for any loss, damage or liability which in any way is due to:
- negligence, wilful, criminal or fraudulent acts on the Insured Person’s part;
- negligence, wilful, criminal or fraudulent act of the Insured Person’s relatives, Immediate Family, employer, employees, legal representatives, Domestic Worker, house-/room-mates, tenant(s) or anyone who is authorised to gain access to the Insured Person’s Residence.
We will not cover any loss damage, injury or liability directly or indirectly caused or contributed to by:
- war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, mutiny, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or popular uprising, or usurpation of power; or
- any Act of Terrorism and any action taken in controlling, preventing, suppressing or in any other way relating to any Act of Terrorism.
We will not cover any loss, damage, injury or liability directly or indirectly caused or contributed to by:
- ionizing radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel, including any self-sustaining process of nuclear fission; or
- the use of any nuclear weapons material.
Any loss, damage or other contingency happening during the existence of a state of emergency as declared by the local authorities (whether physical or otherwise) which is occasioned by or through or in consequence directly or indirectly of any of the said occurrences except to the extent that the Insured Person shall prove that such loss, damage or other contingency happened independently of the existence of the state of emergency as declared by the local authorities.
1. Geographical Coverage
This Policy coverage is limited to loss, damage or liability occurring within Singapore unless otherwise stated in Part B of this Policy.
2. Governing Law
This Policy is governed by the laws of Singapore.
3. Burden of Proof
If We allege that by reason of any of the exclusions under Part C above, any loss, damage, injury or liability is not covered by this Policy, the burden of proving the contrary shall be on the Insured Person.
4. Duty of Disclosure
Any fraud, mis-statement or concealment in respect of this insurance or of any claim hereunder shall render this Policy null and void and any benefit due hereunder shall be or become forfeited.
5. Duty of Care
The Insured Person and his/her Immediate Family must take all reasonable precautions to reduce or remove any risk of loss, damage or liability and keep the subject matter of insurance in good condition.
6. Pair and Set
Where an item lost or damaged forms part of a pair or set, We will not pay more than the value of any particular part which may be lost or damaged nor more than a proportionate value that the lost or damaged item bears to the value of the pair or set.
Our payment will exclude any special value which such item may have as a pair or set.
7. Exclusion of Third Party Rights
A person who is not a party to this contract will have no rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 2001(Cap. 53B) to enforce any of its terms.
8. Economic Sanctions
The Insurer will not be liable to provide any coverage or make any payment under this Policy if to do so would be in violation of any sanctions law or regulation which would expose the Insurer, its parent company or its ultimate controlling entity to any penalty under any sanctions law or regulation.
9. Confiscation or Detention by Government Authorities
Any loss (whether temporary or permanent) of the Insured Person’s property or any part thereof by reason of confiscation, requisition, detention or legal or illegal occupation of such property or any premises, vehicle or thing containing the same by any government authorities.
10. Due Diligence
The Insured Person will observe, comply and fulfill the terms, provisions, conditions and endorsements of this Policy in so far as they relate to anything to be done or complied with. If the Insured Person fails to observe, comply with or fulfill any of the terms, provisions, conditions and endorsements of this Policy, We are not liable to make any payment under this Policy.
11. Notification and Claims Procedures
In the event of an occurrence that may lead to a claim under this Policy:
- The Insured Person or his/her Immediate Family must take necessary measures to prevent and avoid further loss or damage;
- The Insured Person must give immediate written notice to Us of the occurrence in any case no later than seven (7) days’ after the occurrence of any event which may give rise to a claim;
- In the case of Theft, or any criminal act, the Insured Person must immediately lodge an official report with the police or, where appropriate, to a recognised governmental law enforcement agency. The Insured Person will also co-operate with Us to secure the conviction of the offender.
- The Insured Person and/or his/her Immediate Family must not make any admissions, offers, promises or payment, or conduct any negotiations, without Our prior written consent;
- The Insured Person will deliver to Us within thirty (30) days after the receipt of a claim form from Us, such details and written proof as may be required under such claim form or by Us from time to time;
- The Insured Person must notify and forward to Us every letter, claim, demand, writ of summons and process which is received in connection with the claim immediately on receipt. The Insured Person will also notify Us immediately of any impending prosecution, inquests, court proceedings or offers of settlement.
12. Conduct of Proceedings
We may take over and conduct in the Insured Person’s name or the name of any other person covered under this Policy, any defence or settlement of any claim made against the Insured Person or such person and pursue in the Insured Person’s name or the name of such person, for Our own benefit, against anyone responsible for any claim paid by Us.
Anyone covered under this Policy shall give Us all information and assistance as We may require. We shall have full discretion in the conduct of any proceedings and/or on how We settle a claim.
13. To Whom Payment of Proceeds Made
Any payment made to the Insured Person pursuant to a claim under this Policy will be an effectual discharge of Our liability for that claim.
14. Basis of Settlement
The settlement of any claim under this Policy shall be either on (i) an indemnity basis or (ii) replacement as new for old with provision for necessary wear and tear, at Our sole option and discretion.
We will, at Our sole discretion, decide whether to reinstate or pay for the cost of repairs. We will pay up to the maximum limit specified in the policy schedule for the cost of repairs following a partial damage or replacement as new following total loss or damage.
No admission, offer, promise or payment shall be made by the Insured Person, his/her Immediate Family and/or the Policyholder without Our written consent and We shall be entitled if We so desire to take over and conduct in the Insured Person’s, his/her Immediate Family’s and/or the Policyholder’s name the defence of any claim or prosecution or to prosecute in the Insured Person’s, his/her Immediate Family’s and/or the Policyholder’s name for Our benefit any claim for indemnity or damages or otherwise against any third party, and shall have full discretion in the conduct of any proceedings in the settlement of any claim and the Insured Person. His/her Immediate Family and/or the Policyholder shall at Our request promptly give all such information and assistance as We may require.
16. Exceptions to Indemnity
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Policy, We will not indemnify the Insured Person for any:
- Compensation for damage in respect of judgments not in the first instance delivered by or obtained from a court of competent jurisdiction within the Republic of Singapore; or
- Costs and expenses of litigation recovered by any claimant from the Insured Person or his/her Immediate Family which are not incurred in and recoverable in the Republic of Singapore.
If the Insured Person make any claim under this Policy which is in any respect fraudulent or if the Insured Person or anyone acting on the Insured Person’s behalf use any fraudulent means or devices to obtain any benefit under this Policy, all benefits under this Policy will be forfeited.
18. Policy Reinstatement
If default is made in the payment of the agreed premium for this Policy, the subsequent acceptance of a premium by Us shall reinstate this Policy, but only to cover loss thereafter sustained.
This Policy may be terminated by 30 days’ notice in writing at the request of the Policyholder. This Policy shall be deemed to be cancelled upon the date of expiry of 30 days’ from the date of receipt of the notice in writing by Us from You.
We may cancel this Policy by sending 30 day’s notice in writing to You at Your last address known to Us. The Policy shall be deemed to be cancelled upon the date of expiry of 30 days from the date of posting of the notice. After cancellation of the Policy by Us, the proportionate part of any premium received in respect of the unexpired period of the Policy will be refunded by Us to You as soon as possible.
You will not receive any refund of premium if on or before cancellation of this Policy:
- a claim has arisen; or
- You have not promptly paid the premium due.
20. Duplication of Cover and Other Insurance Cover
An Insured Person can only be covered under either of the plan issued by You and underwritten by Us. In the event that an Insured Person is covered under more than one such Policy, We will consider the person to be insured under the Policy which provides the highest benefit level.
21. Dealing with Disputes
Any disputes arising out of this Policy shall first be referred to the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre Ltd (FIDREC), where it falls within FIDREC’s jurisdiction. If the dispute cannot be referred to or resolved by FIDREC, it shall be referred to and finally resolved by arbitration in Singapore in accordance with the Arbitration Rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre ("SIAC Rules") for the time being in force, which rules are deemed to be incorporated by reference in this clause. The Tribunal shall consist of one (1) arbitrator.
22. Waiver of Rights
If We reject liability for any claim made under this Policy and it is not referred to arbitration within 12 months from the date of Our rejection, it shall be deemed that the Insured Person has accepted Our rejection of the Insured Person’s claim and the Insured Person has waived all his/her rights with respect to such a claim.
23. Premium Instalment Payment Warranty
Notwithstanding anything herein contained but subject to the clauses below, the parties hereby agree and declare that:
- the 1st instalment due must be paid and actually received in full by Us within 14 days of the inception date of the coverage under the Policy, renewal certificate or cover note;
- the 2nd and subsequent instalments, if any, of the total premium due, in such amounts as specified by Us for each instalment, must be paid and actually received in full by Us on or before the respective due dates as specified by Us.
In the event that the 1st instalment is not paid and actually received in full by Us within the 14-day period referred to above, then:
(a) the cover under the Policy, renewal certificate or cover note is automatically terminated immediately after the expiry of the said 14-day period;
(b) the automatic termination of the cover shall be without prejudice to any liability incurred within the said 14-day period; and
(c) We shall be entitled to a pro-rata time on risk premium.
In the event that the 2nd or any subsequent instalment of the total premium due is not paid and actually received in full by Us on or before the respective due dates as specified by Us, then:
(a) the cover under the Policy, renewal certificate or cover note is automatically terminated immediately after the respective due date in respect of which the instalment has not been paid; and
(b) the automatic termination of the cover shall be without prejudice to any liability incurred within the period before the respective due date in respect of which the instalment has not been paid.
24. Validity of Remainder of Policy
In the event that any portion of this Policy is found to be invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of this Policy will remain valid, in full force and effect.
25. Data Use
The Insured Person and/or the Policyholder has agreed and consented that We may collect, use and process the Insured Person’s personal information (whether obtained in this application form or otherwise obtained) and disclose such information (whether in or outside of Singapore) to the following:
(a) Our group companies;
(b) Our (or Our group companies’) service providers, reinsurers, agents, distributors, business partners;
(c) brokers, Your authorized agents or representative, legal process participants and their advisors, other financial institutions;
Processing, underwriting, administering and managing Your relationship with Us;
- Audit, compliance, investigation and inspection purposes and handling regulatory governmental enquiries;
- Compliance with legal or regulatory obligations, risk management procedures and Our internal policies;
- Managing Our infrastructure and business operations; and
- Carrying out market research and analysis and satisfaction surveys.
If the Insured Person and/or the Policyholder has not opted out, the Insured Person and/or the Policyholder has also consented to Us, Our group companies, service providers and business partners using, processing and disclosing the Insured Person’s and/or Your personal information to:
(a) Enrol the Insured Person and/or the Policyholder in contests, prize draws and similar promotions
(b) Contact the Insured Person and/or the Policyholder to market other insurance, and/or Our, Our group companies and /or Our business partners’ financial products and / or services.
If the Insured Person and/or the Policyholder has any questions about Our collection, use and disclosure of personal information, the Insured Person and/or the Policyholder may contact Our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
26. Insurance Act (Cap.142)
This Policy is issued in Singapore and is subject to the Insurance Act (Cap.142).
When You applied for this Policy, a declaration made by You at that time that You are ordinarily resident in Singapore must satisfy any one of the following descriptions of being treated as "ordinarily resident in Singapore":
- You are a citizen of Singapore, unless You have resided outside Singapore continuously for 5 or more years before the application date of the Policy and are not currently residing in Singapore;
- You are a permanent resident, unless You have resided in Singapore for less than a total of 183 days in the 12 months before the application date of the Policy;
- You have a work pass or permit required under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act (Cap. 91A), unless You have resided in Singapore for less than a total of 183 days in the 12 months before the application date of the Policy; or
- You have a pass or permit required under the Immigration Act (Cap.133) that has duration longer than 90 days and You have resided in Singapore continuously for at least 90 days in the 12 months before the application date of the Policy.
If You do not satisfy any one of the above definitions of being "ordinarily resident in Singapore", You must notify Us immediately.
27. Written Notice
Every notice or communication to be made under this Policy shall be given in writing to Us.
All benefits payable under this Policy will be in Singapore dollars. When a claim is made by the Insured Person or his/her Immediate Family for losses incurred in a foreign currency, We will pay the Insured Person or his/her Immediate Family in Singapore dollars based on the prevailing currency exchange rate as determined by Us.
No assignment of interest under this Policy will be binding upon Us. We do not assume any responsibility for the validity of any assignment
30. Compliance with Policy Provisions
The due observance and fulfillment of the terms and conditions of this Policy so far as they relate to anything to be done or complied with and the truth to the best of the Insured Person’s knowledge and belief of the information furnished to Us in connection with this insurance shall be conditions precedent to Our liability. Failure to comply with any of the provisions contained in this Policy will invalidate all claims made under this Policy.
31. Entire Contract
This Policy, policy schedule and where applicable certificate of insurance, hold cover letter/cover note, Endorsement, declaration and any other statements in writing will be read together as one contract. In the event of a conflict, the terms, conditions or provisions of this Policy will prevail. No agent has the authority to change or waive any provisions of the insurance. No change of provisions will be valid unless approved by Us and such approval will be endorsed onto this Policy.
Any word or expression which has a specific meaning has the same meaning whenever that word or expression is used in this Policy, policy schedule, and where applicable certificate of insurance, hold cover letter/cover note and Endorsement.
Accident means a sudden, unforeseen and fortuitous event.
Act of Terrorism means an act which may or may not involve the use or threat of use of force or violence by any person or group of persons. This is regardless of whether any person or group is acting alone or on behalf or in connection with any organisation or government committed for political, religious, ideological or similar purposes including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public or any section of the public in fear.
Domestic Worker means any house, stable or garden servant or motor car driver, employed in or in connection with the domestic services of any private premises as defined under the Employment Act (Cap. 91).
Effective Date means the commencement date of insurance, whether at inception or upon renewal as specified in the period of insurance under this Policy.
Endorsement means a change to information of this Policy and/or the cover We provide. The endorsement which applies to this Policy will be shown in a schedule.
Excess means the amount shown in the Policy or certificate of insurance which the Insured Person must pay for every claim.
Fungi means any type or form of fungus, including but not limited to, all forms of mould or mildew, and any mycotoxins, spores, scents, vapours, gas, or substance, including any by-products, produced or released by “fungi”.
Household Contents means the Insured Person’s interior decorations, fixtures and fittings installed by the Insured Person, furniture and furnishings, clothing and personal belongings owned by the Insured Person , the Insured Person’s Immediate Family or Domestic Worker permanently residing with the Insured Person but excludes deeds, bonds, bills of exchange, promissory notes, cheques, travellers’ cheques, securities for money, documents of any kind, cash and currency notes.
Immediate Family means any individual ordinarily residing in the Insured Person’s Residence and who is related to the Insured Person by blood, through marriage or through adoption under any written law, including co-owners and Domestic Worker(s).
Inception Date means the commencement date of insurance at inception as specified in this Policy.
Insured Person means a Subscriber at the time of occurrence of an event covered under the terms of this Policy. For the purpose of this Policy, any Subscriber whose details have not been provided to us or whose account has been suspended by You shall not be considered an Insured Person.
Jewellery means personal ornaments made of gold, silver, jewel or other precious metal and watches
Legal Fee means the professional fees and disbursements charged for legal services rendered by a lawyer or legal practitioner whose engagement had been first approved by Us.
Policy means the Application Form, policy terms and conditions, policy schedule and, where applicable, certificate of insurance, hold cover letter/cover note and Endorsement to this Policy.
Policyholder means Union Power Pte. Ltd. whose registered address is at 25 Genting Road #07-01 Singapore 349482
Policy Period shall mean a period of 12 months from the inception or renewal date stated in the policy schedule.
Power Surge means an oversupply of voltage from the power supply company or a sudden spike in the Insured Person’s home electrical current resulting in fire or explosion within the residences.
Residence means the dwelling place that the Insured Person ordinarily resides in at the time of occurrence of an event giving rise to a claim under this Policy. If the Insured Person’s dwelling place is a landed property, the location of risk will be within the boundary walls, gates and fences of the landed property.
Theft or Stolen means the dishonest and illegal act of theft, burglary, robbery or stealing committed against You and for which occurrence an official report is lodged or made to the police or recognised government law enforcement agency within a reasonable period of time of its occurrence.
Water Pipes means rigid pipes that are found within the Insured Person’s Residence, frequently made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC/uPVC), ductile iron, polyethylene, or copper, and which carry water to and within the Insured Person’s Residence.
We/Us/Our means AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd.
You/Your means the Policyholder in this Policy.
This policy is protected under the Policy Owners' Protection Scheme which is administered by the Singapore Deposit Insurance Corporation (SDIC). Coverage for your policy is automatic and no further action is required from you. For more information on the types of benefits that are covered under the scheme as well as the limits of coverage, where applicable, please contact AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd. or visit the AIG, GIA or SDIC web-sites (www.aig.sg or www.gia.org.sg or www.sdic.org.sg).
This summary is not a contract of insurance. Full details of the terms, conditions and exclusions of the Policy are provided in the master policy lodged with Union Power Pte.Ltd.. For enquiries or clarification on your insurance coverage, please contact AIG Customer Service hotline at 6419 3000, from Mondays to Fridays 9am – 5pm.